Saturday, October 16, 2010

Susan's Pumpkin Bars

Susan's Pumpkin Bars
from the kitchen of Aunt Susan

Bars:
2 Cups Sugar
4 Eggs
2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cups Pumpkin
1 Cup Oil
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar and eggs in a large bowl. Mix by hand- don't use a mixer! Stir in flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Then add vanilla, pumpkin, oil, and cinnamon. Pour batter in a greased (or sprayed) 11x17 pan and bake 20-30 minutes. Frost with cream cheese frosting when bars are cool.


Frosting:
4 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Teaspoon Cream or Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cups Powdered Sugar, Plus More if Needed

Combine with an electric mixer. Lick all utensils and bowl clean.


Well, I hope you have pumpkin saved up from when I first warned you about the shortage! These are AmAzInG! I ended up baking mine 40 or 45 minutes. I think it was because I used a different pan size than the recommended 11x17. When I checked it after it had been in the oven for 30 minutes, I saw that the edges and top was getting done a lot faster than the middle, so I turned the temp down to 300 and checked it every 5 minutes after that. The bars turned out more like a cake, but that's fine with me! Perfect for a fall afternoon with a cup of coffee. Thanks Susan!

No comments:

Post a Comment