Friday, March 25, 2011

How to Use Less Dishes


Since I don't have a dishwasher, I've figured out some ways to use less dishes.  Less dishes = happier me. 


Serve food in the thing you cooked it in.  The pot is already dirty, so why bust out a clean serving dish?  However, be aware that anything you leave in a hot pot continues to cook.


If a recipe calls for 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cream and a couple of eggs, use just the 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure all the ingredients (so, 4 scoops flour, 2 scoops sugar and 1 scoop cream)  and crack the eggs into the measuring cup as well since they can't be added straight to the mix anyway.  Measure dry ingredients first, then the liquids so the dry don't stick to the cup when it's wet. 

Prep ingredients.  This step requires some planning.  If you have your weekly menu planned out you can chop all the veggies you need for that week at the same time, saving dishes and time during the week!  If you're really ahead of the game you can get some cooking out of the way as well.

Reuse disposable cups.  Every time that I work at Starbucks, I bring home a Venti ice water and use it through out the night so I don't have to dirty another cup.  When I'm finished with the cup I often use it to house sloppy leftovers that are headed for the trash (see 'no garbage disposal post').  So next time you're getting coffee or fast food, ask for a water glass and reuse!

I'm always open for more suggestions on how to save on dishes!

2 comments:

  1. I use crock pot liners. I also cover my cookie sheet/9x13 baking dish in aluminum foil when I make things that can be difficult to clean off (oven fried chicken, for example). Also, if you crumple the foil a little bit breaded chicken and fish won't get soggy on the bottom, it's a great double use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine CappettaMarch 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM

    When we're having pizza night - we eat it off of the baking stone - no plates! It's a relaxing night and the only thing I have to clean is the knife!

    ReplyDelete