Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Soup Week: Pumpkin Soup with Sage and Ham

Pumpkin Soup with Sage and Ham
serves 4
from foodandwine.com

3 Tablespoons Butter
1 Onion, Chopped
1 Carrot, Chopped
1 Rib Celery, Chopped
1/2 Tart Apple (Such As Granny Smith) Peeled, Cored, and Cut into 1/2-Inch Dice
2 Cups Canned Pumpkin Puree
1/3 Cup Dry White Wine
1 Tablespoon Dried Sage
1 Bay Leaf
3 1/2 Cups Water
2 1/2 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1 1/2 Pound Piece of Ham, Cut into 1/4-Inch Dice

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.  Add the onion, carrot, celery, and apple, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent.  Stir in the pumpkin puree, wine, sage and bay leaf.    Add the water, chicken broth, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes.  Add the ham and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes longer.  Remove the bay leaf and serve.

When I was shopping for the ingredients, Target was out of regular pumpkin so I substituted pumpkin pie puree.  So what was suppose to be a very savory soup turned out sweet!  I still really enjoyed it though.  It might be my favorite soup so far this week!  And I didn't crave dessert afterwards since my sweet tooth was already satisfied.  I will have to try it next time with regular pumpkin, I'm sure it will be just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment