Monday, January 24, 2011

Vegetarian Week: Red Bean and Rice Burgers

Red Bean and Rice Burgers
makes 4 burgers
from bhg.com

(1) 14.5 oz. Can Red Kidney Beans, Rinsed and Drained
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Celery
1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
3/4 Cup Brown Rice, Cooked
4 Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns, Split and Toasted

In a medium bowl, coarsely mash beans with potato masher or fork.  Stir in onion, celery, bread crumbs, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.  Stir in rice.  Shape the bean mixture into 4, 1/2-inch-thick patties.  Preheat a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat.  Add patties to pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until heated thoroughly, turning once.  Serve burgers on buns with red onion, spinach leaves, sliced and mayo, if desired.

I was a little skeptical about this recipe because I've never made or even tried anything like it.  As I was plating it, I thought to myself "if this doesn't workout I don't have a back up!".  I was so pleasantly surprised!  My husband said they were awesome.  The burgers weren't overly bean-y, they had great flavor.  I'm definitely going to be making these again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment