Friday, September 14, 2012

Porcupine Meatballs

Porcupine Meatballs
family recipe
serves about 6

2 Pounds Ground Hamburger
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1/2 Cup Rice, Uncooked
1 Package Dry Onion Soup Mix, Divided
1 Small Can Tomato Sauce
1 Teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet or Worcestershire  Sauce

Mix together hamburger, pepper, rice, and half of the onion soup mix (about 2 teaspoons).  Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls.  Brown the meatballs in a frying pan, but don't cook all the way through.  Place browned meatballs in a casserole dish.  In a separate small bowl mix together the tomato sauce, 1/2 can of water, the rest of the onion soup mix, and the kitchen bouquet.  Pour sauce over meatballs and bake at 350 for 1 hour, covered.  Serve with mashed potatoes.

I was talking with my sister a few weeks ago and these meatballs came up in the conversation.  My mom use to make them for us all the time when we were growing up.  I had totally forgot about porcupine meatballs and I decided I needed to make them ASAP.  I have to say, they are as good as I remember.  Perfect weather-is-getting-cold-and-I-need-some-comfort-food!

No comments:

Post a Comment